Thursday, November 10, 2005

Voter Intimidation Countrywide and My Local Example

Senator Brack Obama introduced the Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Prevention Act of 2005 on election day. Good ...we need an act like that. Now let me tell you about some voter intimidation of a sort that occurred at our local election polls. I happen to be friends with one of the candidates who won his second term as the town supervisor. I was going to pick up the latest voter roll when I voted around noon, so that I could call those who hadn't voted yet and remind them to vote, not for any particular candidate, just to vote. I asked one of the ladies if I could have a copy of the roll. She looked at me blankly. Now bear in mind, these people are trained for this job and paid well. She then said "I don't think I can do that." I said "actually yes you can and if you'd like to call the county and confirm this feel free." Then another lady, the one manning the polling booth said "I thought we could only do that for the candidates". I told her she had it backwards and that you can't do it for the candidates. I had a pleasant attitude the whole time I might add even tho' their incompetance annoyed me. I got my copies and then as I was leaving I heard the polling booth lady say something to the effect of, really they should ask for copies at the end of the day, it really slows up the works. I left feeling a little intimidated and I SHOULDN'T HAVE!