Thursday, November 01, 2007

Any Idea What This is?

Anyone know what this is? Kind of looks like a Christmas tree laying down sideways!

It's Brassica oleracea. They are brussel sprouts on the stalk, fresh out of someone's garden. Pretty neat huh? I had no idea they grew like this. Did you? Or is it just me. Actually I hadn't given any thought to how they grow but I was just surprised. We aren't big brussel sprout eaters here at Chez Windyridge but who can turn down fresh produce. And pesticide free too! They were quite delicious, not at all bitter like I remember them to be. Of course I've never had fresh.


In case you hadn't figure it out, they take their name from their place of origin in Brussels, where they are very popular. They look very pretty in the pot don't they?

Technorati Tags:,