Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Farms

I am always on the lookout for ways to make money and more than once I thought about a real estate franchise but lately, with the price of gas being what it is, and no relief in sight, anything that requires driving anywhere is on the back burner. I even scaled back on my house inspections. If I was to get involved in real estate I would want to specialize in farm properties and there are plenty of those here for sale unfortunately, as the little farms cannot compete with the billion dollar operations anymore. It is very sad to see all the farms that were here, not ten years ago, disappear. The farmers are the stewards of our land. They keep the land open and undeveloped. Often when a farm goes down, a tycoon from the city snaps up the property and divides it into what are called spaghetti lots. These are hideous divisions with very deep lots but little road frontage. Ultimately, these properties end of with lots of shacks set up along the road where once a proud farm stood.