Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bill Maher On Nader

Having recently watched the debate on MSNBC I have been in a political mode. I just read this and have to agree with most of it. It's from Bill Maher, a guy whose show I used to enjoy when I had HBO. I don't agree with everything he says all of the time, and I especially don't think much of his association with PETA, but this little opinion piece is on the mark.

"I don't think it matters that Ralph Nader's running. It didn't matter in 2004. How many people even remember he ran in 2004? So it's silly to make a big issue of it. At this point, Ralph's just in it for the chicks... or the dudes... always hard to tell with him. But, there can be no doubt, he's got a point about how narrow our presidential debates have become. He's the wrong messenger, because even most of the people who used to like him now hate him, but no candidate is talking about single payer health care, which 59 percent of doctors support. No candidate dares talk about cutting the bloated military budget. Gun control. A carbon tax. Gay marriage. Cloning supermodels. We won't have a debate about any of these things. That's bad for the country, isn't it? In fact, isn't Ralph Nader's platform still the best one? Couldn't Barack Obama, with all his political gifts, be borrowing more from Nader's platform? That would be real change."