Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Hero Eliot Spitzer

In 2003 I felt compelled to email Eliot Spitzer who at that time was New York's attorney general. I thought he was doing an excellent job of rooting out corruption and wasn't afraid to take on the big guys, including Wall Street. His fight for the environment was important to me also. As a youth he volunteered to work in soup kitchens in the city. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth but wanted to experience how the other half lived. He showed me that there really were some good politicians. I admired him and was thrilled to have this letter from him in response to my email (click to enlarge). I thought that one day he might become president. Naturally I was ecstatic when he was elected governor of our state.

So I was filled with utter horror when I received an email yesterday from my friend Carla telling me that she had just heard that he was involved in a prostitution ring. Knowing that he, himself had prosecuted such rings I was stunned. I immediately surfed the news sites and then flipped on the TV. It was true. He admitted it. My faith in politicians is back in the toilet. This man's stellar career has been destroyed because apparently his brain was incapacitated by another region of his body. And wow, $1,000 an hour for a prostitute? Imagine what this has done to his family and his three kids? He may even go to jail as he has broken several laws. As of this writing he still has not resigned. Surly he must, and they are just "dealing" to avoid criminal charges at this point.