Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Endless Field of Cows


On our way to the cabin we pass this field of cows off the main road. The first time I saw these guys I was amazed. I dubbed it "The Endless Field of Cows". Look far back into the photo and enlarge it by clicking on it. They go on forever don't they. Seriously I live in farm country and I've never seen such a sight. I can't imagine having so many cows. I suppose you folks out west are laughing at me now.

Did anyone watch Big Brown Saturday as he lost the Belmont Stakes? What a disappointment. It's a bit of mystery why he lost. I gather the trainer and the jockey are not getting along to well. The jockey said Big Brown had nothing left after the turn and figured he might as well pull him up. The trainer says he was fighting him to go. Something seems a little fishy. Do you know why he is named Big Brown?

Speaking of horses, even if you aren't a racing fan, (and I really am not. I just like to watch the big races and I love horses), a great book to read is Seabiscuit: An American Legend. I really enjoyed it. Just learning about the inside world of jockeys was fascinating and a little horrifying. I was very surprised at how much I loved the book. The author's own story is amazing. In the publication I have there is an interview with her. She's had a rough life.