Saturday, November 24, 2007

Art Walks

When I lived in Florida I very much enjoyed the Art Shows in Coconut Grove. It was fun to take a leisurely stroll past the booths and sample the delicious, tasty treats while gazing at various works of art. Here in Chenango County we have a very well attended Arts festival called Colorscape Chenango.

St Augustine, is holding it's First Friday Weekend Art Walk series. It is a fitting place to hold this event because Native Americans, Spanish explorers, British rulers and freed slaves, all have played major roles in the colorful history of this place. It was also the first permanent European settlement in America. The St. Augustine Artwalk will feature art works from some of the best artists in northern Florida. The walk is a self guided tour which is the method I prefer. I like to move at my own pace. I did my first self guided tour of Alacatraz many years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Along the way as you walk and view the various exhibits you will be treated to music, entertainment, and refreshments. There will be over 20 participating galleries so there is probably something there to please everyone. There will be free parking and free sightseeing and trolley tours for those not willing or able to walk. The walks start Dec 7th and are held on the 1st Friday of every month.