Monday, March 24, 2008

Growing Challenge #2


My heirloom seeds arrived a few days ago and today I went to Lowes and bought a different type of peat greenhouse. The peats pots are a little smaller and the container is window sill shaped. I figure these seedlings won't be in the pots as long as the tomato seedlings, and can therefore easily survive the smaller pots. They are a little harder to handle though because of their size.

I placed two seeds in each of 6 peat pellets for cauliflower, zucchini and cabbage. I'm not sure how the zucchini is going to work out as according to the seedling directions, they should be sown directly into the soil. We'll see. I have plenty of seed left so I can always sow those directly into the soil but because of our relatively short growing season, when the soil is warm enough I'd like to put 6 inch tall growing plants in the garden at that time.

Meanwhile the tomatoes are growing well although some I think got whacked by a dog tail. Still those plants appear to be doing fine.