Friday, May 02, 2008

This Orangutan is Pretty Smart

An orangutan has been spotted using a tool to spear fish. The picture was taken in Borneo on the island of Kaja. Although the process of hunting fish with a spear was too complex for him to master, it's still shows that these animals have reasoning abilities.

I have always been interested in ethology, the study of animal behavior, and even did a course on it in college. It was my favorite subject in Zoology which was my minor. My major was Physiology. This photo is one of a series from the book Thinkers of the Jungle. I will probably buy the book as I really enjoy animal tales especially when they are true. I have a pretty extensive animal library.

For my readers out there, if you went to college what degree did you get and more importantly did you use what you learned later in life at your job (and I'm not talking about how to play beer pong)? Friends of mine and I were recently discussing how many of us actually used our college degrees after we graduated.