Saturday, September 22, 2007

Beware of Paypal Imposters

I have been receiving a lot of these lately and I wanted to share it with you guys on the off chance that you hadn't heard about this phishing scheme. I am a member of Paypal. And these phishers know this. I'm not sure how they know but they do. They hook you by scaring you with emails like this one. If you're like me and have a marginal memory, it does give you a moment of pause! I received a similar email a few months ago that said I had paid Dell 400 dollars! And I had been doing business with Dell, so my heart went thump for a second. What happens if you click the link they suggest? You come to a page where it asks you for all that sensitive info and the identity theft is complete. Similar emails are supposedly from Ebay and other well known businesses.

Just known that you will never be asked for this kind of info from anyone you are doing business with so never give this kind of info out. Period.

Dear PayPal Member,


This email confirms that you have sent an eBay payment of $47.85 USD to
achad13@yahoo.com for an eBay item.



-----------------------------------
Payment Details
-----------------------------------


Amount: $47.85 USD

Transaction ID: 2LC956793J776333Y

Subject: Digimax 130





Note:
If you haven't authorized this charge ,click the link below to dispute transaction
and get full refund


Dispute transaction (Encrypted Link )

*SSL connection:
PayPal automatically encrypts your confidential information
in transit from your computer to ours using the Secure
Sockets Layer protocol (SSL) with an encryption key length
of 128-bits (the highest level commercially available)


Technorati Tags:,