Monday, November 12, 2007

Stop that Blowing Snow with a Fence

I don't enjoy snow blowing and plowing our driveway. It's a long driveway....around 600 feet. It's cold work since I am effectively just sitting. So I look for any way I can to decrease the number of times I have to do it. With gas prices what they are now, it's even more important to do it less. hence the snow fence. The physics of how it works can get complicated when you get into fence height and distance, and why you create a drift with a certain type of fence but when we started putting one up a few years ago, it made a heck of a difference. I spent a lot of time clearing the driveway due to wind and not snow and this stops those kinds of trips dead. Our only limitation was the pond, preventing us from putting it back the correct distance from the driveway. However it seems to defy the physics and works just fine.


All you need are T posts and the fence. There are a few types of fence but common around here are wood and plastic mesh. Personally I find the mesh unsightly and BRIGHT. So we use wood.

You can also use natural barriers such as hedges which would save time and labor once "installed".

Here is a huge fence in Wyoming:

And here is what ours looks like:



Technorati Tags: