Saturday, April 05, 2008

Shearing Day!

It was a miserable damp day but not nearly as cold as it has been on past shearing days so I guess I couldn't complain too much. We had eight sheep to do and two goats. It was my first glimpse of Albert's fleece and I was not disappointed. (I will post pics of that separately when I get a chance to play around with it further.)

I don't know how Nancy, our shearer does it. She is stooped over for minutes at a time, all day long, fighting with sheep and goats.

But first before the shearing pics, I can't resist this one of my favorite ram lamb, Valentino. He loves to jump up on the side of the stall and have me tickle him under his chin (you don't "pet" rams on the top of the head. It supposedly encourages them to butt you later). Notice his dad, Albert, trying to get a piece of the action! As always, click on the photos to enlarge them.

Here are some photos of a ewe being sheared.






Here a fleece is being stuffed into a bag.

The last two animals to be sheared are the goats. They don't like it much. They fuss and complain. They are a lot harder than the sheep to shear. The goat is also getting his hooves trimmed. You can make out his horns above Nancy's hand.




A nude goat

After they are sheared the sheep act like they've never seen each other. This little ewe lamb below is wondering if this is really her mother. They sniff each other, getting re-aquainted. The two ewes on the left are saying "Uhoh, we're next!".
And Albert was going crazy and was ready to breed them all!