Friday, March 20, 2009

Of Bread and Trails and Misbehaving Sheep

Today started off with a bang.....literally. I was taking the ram to the butchers when he freaked out, kicked the right window out of the truck cap and broke the hinge on the other one. After that he was fine. But now we have to figure out how to fix the windows.

I am continuing with my daily bread and I tried the cinnamon/raisin loaf. I love this book!! and the kids love the bread baking me! I also experimented with freezing two loaves per the instructions. I have one defrosting on the counter as I type. I will be interested to see if there is any difference. If there isn't, this is the way I will go, as I don't have enough room in the fridge with a perpetual bowl full of dough sitting there. I will make a batch of herb bread, a batch of cinnamon/raisin and a batch of crusty French bread and freeze all the loaves, ready for baking. That's about 12 or 13 loaves.

Getting ready to freeze 2 loaves while one is on the parchment paper ready to slide onto the pizza stone. I decided not to buy a baker's peel since I am able to slide the bread onto the peel easily without one.

Rascal and I went on a short hike last week. It was a crispy, sunny day and we discovered a snowmobile trail that provided a lovely smooth walk. I had planned on hitting a particular stretch of the FingerLakes Trail but the access road had a little too much snow on it to drive through. I didn't feel like getting stuck.


Bunny tracks!


The road less travelled